London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, May 23, 2026

‘Chaos’ in No 10 as Johnson finalises social care funding plan, billions resales from Afghanistan will not be used for social needs

‘Chaos’ in No 10 as Johnson finalises social care funding plan, billions resales from Afghanistan will not be used for social needs

Growing backlash from cabinet ministers and MPs after leaks about plan for national insurance rise

Boris Johnson is expected to make a final decision over the weekend about whether to press ahead with his controversial social care funding plan, in the face of a growing backlash from cabinet ministers and backbench MPs.

One government source described “chaos” in a jittery Downing Street on Friday, after leaks about plans for an increase in national insurance contributions (NICs), including the contested claim that the health secretary, Sajid Javid, has been demanding a rise of two percentage points.

It is understood Johnson still hopes to announce the package next week, but several cabinet ministers are privately fuming about the idea of a manifesto-busting tax rise that will hit young adults on low incomes, but leave pensioners unscathed.

Backbench Conservative MPs including Jeremy Hunt and John Redwood went public with their concerns about an NICs rise on Friday.

Hunt told BBC Radio 4: “Since older people are the biggest beneficiaries, it’s fair they should make a contribution.”

Another Conservative backbencher said Johnson could even struggle to get the measure through a restive House of Commons. “People have been through enough, and we should focus on getting the economy going again. Yes, social care is a ticking timebomb, but does it have to be right now?”

They added: “It just doesn’t feel very Conservative, especially given the manifesto pledge.”

Johnson’s former chief aide Dominic Cummings waded into the row, calling an NICs increase “bad policy and bad politics”.

“Why should young people on average and below-average incomes lose disposable income to pay for another subsidy for the older middle classes?” Cummings asked, in the latest posting on his £10-a-month Substack site. He predicted Johnson could yet succumb to political pressure and “trolley” away from the plan.

Another Conservative MP said he believed colleagues would reluctantly support the proposal, however. “This is a tax rise, specifically on people who work, so MPs are massively torn, but most people will think, given the pressures on the NHS, let’s just bloody do it,” they said.

Depending on the outcome of discussions about how much funding is needed, the proposal is expected to include an increase of 1 or 1.25 percentage points in NICs – badged as a “health and social care levy”.

For someone on average earnings of £29,536 a year, an increase of one percentage point would cost them £199.68 annually.

The proceeds would be devoted to relieving Covid pressures on the NHS in the early years of the plan, with more resources flowing to social care as time goes on.

The proposal is expected to include a lifetime cap on the costs an individual will have to pay towards their care, as originally recommended more than a decade ago by the Dilnot review, commissioned by David Cameron’s government.

Officials in Downing Street are said to be fretting that while the political costs of a tax increase will be high, even a 1.25-percentage-point rise will fail to fix the crisis in social care, or tackle the Covid backlog in the health service.

One source suggested the prime minister had been angered by the suggestion that even after the tax rise, it could take a decade for the NHS to return to pre-pandemic performance.


The chancellor, Rishi Sunak, is also expected to announce that he will not honour the “triple lock” for pensions this year, with wage increases, which pensions track, artificially boosted by the end of furlough. Sticking to the rule could mean an increase in the state pension of as much as 9% next April.

Politically, hitting pensioners by ditching the triple lock for this year could act as a counterweight to the fact that they will be left unscathed by the NICs rise.

With more than two years having elapsed since Johnson promised he had a plan ready to fix the social care system, the government is keen to have it announced and agreed by MPs in the brief, three-week sitting of the House of Commons before the annual party conferences.

The justice secretary, Robert Buckland, said on Friday that any future social care plan must be “adequately funded”, but that no final decision had been taken by the government on how this was to be achieved.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
'They're people from all walks of life across the UK'
EU Digital ID Claims Misstate What Brussels Can Legally Force on Member States
The Great Western Exit: Why Best Citizens Are Fleeing the Rich World [PODCAST]
The New Robber Barons of Intelligence: Are AI Bosses More Powerful Than Rockefeller?
The End of the Old Order [Podcast]
Britain’s Democracy Is Now a Costume
The AI Gold Rush Is Coming for America’s Last Open Spaces [Podcast]
The Pentagon’s AI Squeeze: Eight Tech Giants Get In, Anthropic Gets Shut Out [Podcast]
The War Map: Professor Jiang’s Dark Theory of Iran, Trump, China, Russia, Israel, and the Coming Global Shock [Podcast]
Labour Is No Longer a National Party [Podcast]
AI Isn’t Stealing Your Job. It’s Dismantling It Piece by Piece.
Lawyers vs Engineers: Why China Builds While America Litigates [Podcast]
Churchill’s Glass: The Drunk, the Doctor, and the Myth Britain Refuses to Sober Up From
Apple issues an unusual warning: this is how your iPhone can be hacked without you doing anything
Kennedy’s Quiet War on Antidepressants Sparks Alarm Across America’s Medical Establishment
The Met Gala Meets the Age of Billionaire Backlash
Russian Oligarch’s Superyacht Crosses Hormuz via Iran-Controlled Route
Gunfire Disrupts White House Correspondents’ Dinner as Trump Is Evacuated
A Leak, a King, and a Fracturing Alliance
Inside the Gates Foundation Turmoil: Layoffs, Scrutiny, and the Cost of Reputational Risk
UK Biobank Breach Exposes Health Data of 500,000, Listed for Sale on Chinese Platform
KPMG Cuts Around 10% of US Audit Partners After Failed Exit Push
French Police Probe Suspected Weather-Data Tampering After Unusual Polymarket Bets on Paris Temperatures
CATL Unveils Revolutionary EV Battery Tech: 1000 km Range and 7-Minute Charging Ahead of Beijing Auto Show
Crypto Scammers Capitalize on Maritime Chaos Near the Strait of Hormuz: A Rising Threat to Shipping Companies
Changi Airport: How Singapore Engineered the World’s Most Efficient Travel Experience
Power Dynamics: Apple’s Leadership Shakeup, Geopolitical Risks in the Strait of Hormuz, and Europe's Energy Strategy Amidst Global Challenges
Apple's Leadership Transition: Can New CEO John Ternus Navigate AI Challenges and Geopolitical Pressures?
Italy’s €100K Tax Gambit: Europe’s Soft Power Tax Haven
News Roundup
Microsoft lost 2.5 millions users (French government) to Linux
Privacy Problems in Microsoft Windows OS
News roundup
Péter András Magyar and the Strategic Reset of Hungary
Hungary After the Landslide — A Strategic Reset in Europe
Meghan Markle Plans Exclusive Women-Focused Retreat During Australia Visit
Starmer and Trump Hold Strategic Talks on Securing Strait of Hormuz Amid Rising Tensions
Unofficial Australia Visit by Prince Harry and Meghan Expected to Stir Tensions with Royal Circles
Pipeline Attack Cuts Significant Share of Saudi Arabia’s Oil Export Capacity
UK Stocks Rise on Ceasefire Momentum and Renewed Focus on Diplomacy
UK to Hold Further Strategic Talks on Strait of Hormuz Security
Starmer Voices Frustration as Global Tensions Drive Up UK Energy Costs
UK Students Voice Concern Over Proposal for Automatic Military Draft Registration
Rising Volatility Drives Uncertainty in UK Fuel and Petrol Prices
UK Moves to Deploy ‘Skyhammer’ Anti-Drone System to Strengthen Airspace Defense
New Analysis Explores UK Budget Mechanics in ‘Behind the Blue’ Feature
Man Arrested After Four Die in Channel Crossing Tragedy
UK Tightens Immigration Framework with New Sponsor Rules and Fee Increases
UK Foreign Secretary Highlights Impact of Intensified Strikes in Lebanon
UK Urges Inclusion of Lebanon in US-Iran Ceasefire Framework
×