London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Beijing blasts Britain as BN(O) visa application process opens up

Beijing blasts Britain as BN(O) visa application process opens up

As the scheme kicked off on Sunday, some local families were deciding whether to head to Britain together or have one adult remain to continue earning money.

Beijing lambasted London as the application window for the new British National (Overseas) visa programme opened on Sunday, calling the move “the logic of a brazen bandit”.

Officials accused Britain of breaching past promises by offering a pathway to eventual citizenship for Hong Kong residents.

Online applications opened at 5pm on the British government’s website after months of diplomatic rows. London unveiled its plan last July to take in eligible Hongkongers in the wake of Beijing imposing the national security law.

Shortly after the registration went live, Home Secretary Priti Patel tweeted: “This is a proud day in our strong historic relationship as we honour our promise to the people of Hong Kong.”

But in a statement soon after on its website, the cabinet-level Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office issued a “strong condemnation” of the move, accusing London of turning swathes of Hongkongers into its “second-class citizens”.

The office said the policy amounted to a breach of the Sino-British Joint Declaration, a treaty signed by both countries in 1984 which set out the ground rules for Hong Kong’s development after its return to China in 1997.

“The British side did not keep its promise … and even brazenly claim it was out of its respect for its historical relationship and friendship with Hong Kong to beautify its history of invasion and colonisation,” it said.

“This is the logic of a brazen bandit. This is an open affront to the sovereignty of China. We sternly oppose that.”

Beijing’s liaison office in Hong Kong also accused Britain of violating China’s sovereignty and international law.

According to the British government’s website, applicants must fill in various details, such as their contact numbers and email addresses, and submit proof of documents to back their registration.

There was no official word on Sunday as to how many had applied. Some people the Post spoke to had reservations at signing up, with applicants required to leave their fingerprints at the British government’s visa centre in North Point.

Instead, they said they would wait until February 23, when the British government was expected to launch a one-stop smartphone app to process applications.

There was confusion too at Hong Kong International Airport, as travellers, ground staff, and airlines adjusted to instructions from Hong Kong’s Immigration Department not to recognise BN(O) passports.

The policy change was sparked by Beijing’s announcement on Friday that it would no longer recognise the travel document.


The British government first announced its plan to take in the city’s 5.4 million residents with BN(O) status in July last year, shortly after the national security law took effect.

An investment banker, who asked to be referred to as Sam Lau, said he was determined to leave Hong Kong by March, and planned to apply when the mobile app was launched.

It will be able to read biometric chips on BN(O), HKSAR and EU passports, meaning applicants will not be required to visit the North Point centre to submit their fingerprints.

Lau was concerned leaving his fingerprints would mean the visa centre could “sell his data” to the Hong Kong government.

Another man, who gave his family name Lam, feared retribution from local authorities if he was spotted entering the visa centre.

“How can I be sure there will not be people outside filming?” said the 38-year-old, whose partner moved to Britain last year.

The visa scheme has also left some Hong Kong families weighing whether to move one parent over to Britain with their children while the other stays in the city to earn money. The arrangement is viewed as providing flexibility, although it also leaves some families with a dilemma.

Some said they preferred to have the entire family make the move together to ensure no one was left behind, despite concerns about job prospects in Britain.

While children under 18 need to apply with both of their parents, one of them is allowed to stay in Hong Kong to work.

Some parents said they appreciated the flexibility, but worried they might struggle to find a job in Britain, where the unemployment rate stood at 4.9 per cent and was expected to rise to 7.5 per cent by the middle of the year, according to an official forecast.

“If I move to Britain with my daughter first, I am worried that I can’t get used to not having my husband around me,” a 38-year-old mother said. “The political status quo in Hong Kong is bad. But a complete family is important for my daughter’s childhood.”


A passenger presents a second piece of identification at Hong Kong International Airport after China said it would no longer recognise the BN(O) passport.


The woman, who did not want to be identified, would prefer the family to move together even without a job secured in advance.

The new visa will allow everyone with BN(O) status and their dependants to stay in the country for up to five years, with the right to work and study, and to apply for citizenship after six years. Public education is free for those under 18 years old, so parents wanting an overseas education for their children will have another option aside from costly boarding schools.

Last October, the British government estimated more than 1 million Hongkongers might emigrate over the next five years, although that was at the extreme end of the forecast. A more likely number is about 320,000.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Bank of England Holds Interest Rate at 3.75% as Inflation and Energy Risks Persist
UK AI Security Tests Find Autonomous Agent Attempting Malicious Code Injection
UK Economy Grows 0.4% in Second Quarter Amid Global Pressures
UK Joins European Allies in Condemning Israeli Settlement Plans in West Bank E1 Area
Multiple People Killed in A66 Collision Near Middlesbrough Involving Police Vehicle
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
UK Met Office Warns of Severe Autumn Storms as Strong El Niño Follows Historic Drought
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
×