London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Monday, Aug 17, 2026

Victims of ‘vile’ abuse of children in care in Northern Ireland reject apology

Victims of ‘vile’ abuse of children in care in Northern Ireland reject apology

Religious orders called on to pay compensation for physical, sexual and psychological abuse carried out for more than 70 years
Victims of sexual, psychological and physical abuse of children in care in Northern Ireland have rejected a formal apology by religious orders and called on them to pay compensation.

Ministers and representatives of six institutions at the centre of the scandal on Friday issued a long-awaited statement saying sorry for what was described as “vile” and “unimaginable” abuse carried out for more than 70 years.

Five religious institutions and one secular body offered profound apologies and regret to victims. The representatives from De La Salle, Sisters of Nazareth, Sisters of St Louis and the Good Shepherd Sisters, as well as Barnardo’s and the Irish Church Missions, admitted that words could only do so much to overcome the pain felt by victims over successive decades.

After a minute’s silence, Michelle McIlveen, the education minister, led the apologies as some of those affected watched on.

“Today we say that we are sorry. We did not ensure these homes were all free from hunger and cold; from mistreatment and abuse. It was the state’s responsibility to do that, and it failed you. We neglected you, rejected you, we made you feel unwanted. It was not your fault. The state let you down,” she said.

The assembly heard harrowing accounts of children being sexually abused by staff and visitors, men and women, as well as psychologically abused for wetting beds, doused in Jeyes fluid and deprived of toys, sweets and clothes.

Peter Murdoch, a former resident of Nazareth Lodge Orphanage, said: “Why did they not apologise 30 years ago? Thirty years ago, they hopefully would have meant it. In my personal opinion I can’t accept the apology but for anybody else it is completely up to them.”

Alice Harper, sister of a former resident of one of the care homes guilty of abuse, was excoriating when she gave her verdict on the apologies read out. “I want to say I cannot and I will not accept an apology from De La Salle. I will never accept their apology for what they did to our family,” she said.

So too was Margaret McGuckin, one of the most vocal campaigners at the Survivor and Victims of Institution Abuse charity.

“They were made and forced to come to this stage today, with the greatest respect, they are not sincere at all. I believe the ministers were (sincere) and they felt it, but as far as the religious orders and the others, they were forced into that situation and I would take that with a pinch of salt.”

Jon McCourt of Survivors North West said the four religious orders at the centre of the scandal and Barnardo’s had “failed miserably” in the past and urged them to contribute to the redress fund for survivors.

“As a government and a community we must all play a role in protecting children from abuse,” said Naomi Long, the justice minister. “We are truly sorry.”

McIlveen acknowledged the lifelong suffering of the survivors and that “failings took place” over decades “in justice and health facilities, as well as involuntary institutions”.

While some institutions provided very good care, “we know that others were cruel,” sexually and physically abusing children, recruiting unsuitable staff and not providing proper training, she said.

Nichola Mallon, the infrastructure minister, told how some affected children had been sent to Australia, “torn from their family roots” in a way that is “hard to imagine today”. Others did not know they had siblings as they grew up. “We deeply regret the effect on the rest of your life.”

“It is hard to comprehend the impact of this separation from those you were closest to, from those who loved you,” she said.

The apologies comes more than five years after an inquiry led by Sir Anthony Hart revealed shocking levels of sexual, physical and emotional abuse from 1922 to 1995.

Robin Swann, the health minister, said there was “no excuse” for what happened while Conor Murphy, the finance minister, said “no amount of financial redress can ever make up for the suffering.”
Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Campaigners Press Government to Strengthen Rights for Four Million Gig Workers
Government Considers Higher Private Rents to Spread Asylum Accommodation Across UK
UK Moves to Protect Historic Pubs From Conversion Into Housing and Offices
Nigel Farage Wins Clacton By-Election to Return to House of Commons
British Manufacturers Report Rising Cybersecurity Threats Across Industrial Supply Chains
Royal Navy Increases Monitoring of Russian Ships in UK Waters by 25 Percent
England Adds More Than 350 Medical Training Posts to Strengthen NHS Capacity
NHS Waiting Lists Over 52 Weeks Rise by More Than 11,000 Patients
Brent Crude Near $88 Raises Fresh UK Energy Cost Concerns
UK Treasury Warns Prolonged Strait of Hormuz Disruption Could Cut 2027 Growth to 0.3 Percent
UK Economy Grows 0.4 Percent in Second Quarter as Energy and Inflation Risks Persist
UK Heatwave Triggers Emergency Alert as Government Unveils £65 Million Farm Support Package
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham Takes Regional Tour to Highlight Local Infrastructure and Environmental Problems
Nigel Farage Wins Clacton By-Election to Return to the House of Commons
Bank of England Warns Rising Inflation Could Squeeze UK Household Incomes
UK Government Announces £65 Million Aid Package for Farmers Hit by Severe Drought
UK Economy Grows 0.4% in Second Quarter Despite Energy Market Pressures
UK Issues Emergency Alert as Severe Wildfires Spread Across England and Wales
UK and Finland Discuss European Defence and Continued Support for Ukraine
Nigel Farage Wins Clacton By-Election to Return to the House of Commons
UK Government Deploys Military to Help Fight Wildfires and Bans Disposable Barbecues
UK Records Hottest Day of the Year as Fifth Summer Heatwave Peaks in Southern England
UK Condemns Houthi Actions and Warns of Red Sea Threat to Global Trade
UK and Solomon Islands Open Wildlife Photography Exhibition in Honiara
UK Small Businesses Face Continued Cash Flow and Tax Pressures
Greatham Marsh Restoration Restores Tidal Wetland in Hartlepool After More Than 200 Years
UK Health Regulator Urges University Students to Check Meningitis and Measles Vaccination Status
Mining Remediation Authority Completes Major Ground Stabilization Works in Scottish Community
UK Food Crime Investigators Seize 33 Tonnes of Illegal Food in Multi-Agency Operation
Technical Qualification Uptake Hits Record High as Advanced Mathematics Results Improve
UK Summer Temperatures on Course to Challenge Long-Standing Records, Met Office Says
UK Farmers Bring Forward Cereal Harvests as Drought Threatens Yields
×