London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Monday, Aug 24, 2026

US deal for Huawei’s Meng Wanzhou hinges on admission of wrongdoing

US deal for Huawei’s Meng Wanzhou hinges on admission of wrongdoing

Huawei Technologies CFO reportedly has so far resisted proposal because she believes she has done nothing wrong.

The US Justice Department is trying to cut a deal to free Huawei Technologies’ Meng Wanzhou. It is the first sign of a breakthrough in the extradition case which has soured Beijing’s relations with the US and Canada.

The deal would end Meng’s two-year house arrest in Canada and allow her return to China. In exchange, she would have to admit to some of the bank and wire fraud charges she faces in the US, according to a report in The Wall Street Journal citing people familiar with the matter.

The accusations relate to alleged violations by Huawei of US sanctions on Iran. However, Meng, 48, is said to be reluctant to take the deal as she believes she has committed no wrongdoing.

How the arrest of Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou soured China's relations with the US and Canada


The negotiations coincide with a transition of power at the White House that Beijing hopes will allow for an improvement in US-China relations. Talks between the Justice Department and Meng picked up after president-elect Joe Biden defeated incumbent Donald Trump, according to The Wall Street Journal.

Neither Meng’s Canadian lawyers nor Huawei Canada immediately responded to a request for comment. Nor did Canada’s Department of Justice, whose lawyers are representing US interests in Meng’s extradition hearings in the Supreme Court of British Columbia. When contacted on Friday, a spokesman from Huawei headquarters in Shenzhen declined to comment.

Meng, the daughter of Huawei CEO Ren Zhengfei, was arrested in Vancouver in December 2018 by Canadian police acting on a US warrant based on allegations she had misled HSBC about the telecoms giant’s business dealings with Iran, leading to a violation by the bank of US sanctions.

Nine days after Meng’s arrest, China detained two Canadian citizens who were living and working in the country. Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig
were charged in June of suspected espionage, a move Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said was Beijing’s way of retaliating against Canada for Meng’s arrest.

Beijing denies any link between Meng’s case and the arrest of Spavor and Kovrig, but has also accused Ottawa of colluding with the US in holding Meng, who is under partial house arrest, pending extradition.

Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said China’s position was steadfast and clear – that Meng was innocent and had committed no crime indictable by the US or Canada. She repeated China’s position that the case was a grave political incident concocted by the US, with Canada is its accomplice.

“China once again urges the US immediately abandon the arrest warrant and extradition request against Ms Meng Wanzhou, and we urge Canada to release Ms Meng Wanzhou immediately to ensure her safe return to China soon”, Hua said.

Lu Xiang, a senior fellow on US studies with the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, said reports by the WSJ and Reuters indicated the Canadian justice department was under pressure and had communicated with its US counterpart on how to resolve the case.

“The fundamental issue is whether Canada can uphold its judicial independence, Lu said. “Meng’s case is a test for Canada’s diplomatic sovereignty and flexibility.”

“If the case can be resolved smoothly, it will be a game changer for China-Canada relations. If the US drops the charges, we will definitely welcome the move, he said.

Shi Yinhong, a professor of international relations with Renmin University in Beijing and a government adviser, said any major compromise by the US on the issue would be a blow to its long-arm jurisdiction to impose sanctions on foreign entities or individuals.

“It would impact its argument of extraterritorial jurisdiction. But any possibility cannot be ruled out,” he said.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Iranian Hackers Shut Down British Power Plant for Four Days in Landmark Cyber Attack
Novak Djokovic Reveals Relentless Self-Doubt and Rejects Retirement in New Documentary
Trump Imposes 50% Tariffs on Canadian Goods After Bilateral Trade Talks Collapse
Australia Combines Indigenous Fire Knowledge With Satellite Tech to Combat Catastrophic Wildfires
Father and Son Jailed in Scotland Over £900,000 Airport Cannabis Smuggling Operation
UK Fraud Reports Surge Sevenfold as Criminals Exploit QR Codes in Parking Meters and Phishing Emails
Brighton Thrash Aston Villa in Four-Goal Opening Half as Manchester City Trail Bournemouth
Erin Patterson Appeals Triple Murder Convictions After Hotel Mixed Sequestered Jury With Prosecution
Bank of England Maintains Close Watch on Banks Amid Global Economic Uncertainty
Warm Weather and Tourism Support UK High Street Spending During Summer
Westminster Faces Continuing Political and Administrative Fallout From Epstein Files Release
UK Invests in Domestic Defence Drone Manufacturing to Strengthen Military Supply Chains
Around Five Million UK Households Face Higher Mortgage Payments by 2028
Bluetongue Virus Cases Rise Across England, Wales and Scotland
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
Historic Summer Droughts Threaten UK Harvests and Put Further Pressure on Food Prices
UK Economy Holds Up in Second Quarter Despite Global Energy and Geopolitical Pressures
UK Opens National Artificial Intelligence Safety Testing Facility
UK Government Finalizes Plans to Bring Remaining Regional Rail Services Into Public Ownership
Environment Agency Imposes Record Penalties on Water Companies Over Illegal Sewage Discharges
Great British Energy Announces Offshore Wind Partnership in North Sea
UK Government Tightens Planning Rules to Accelerate Housing Development
NHS Launches Digital Overhaul to Cut Elective Care Waiting Lists
Bank of England Signals Interest Rates May Stay Higher for Longer as Inflation Pressures Persist
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Bank of England Holds Interest Rate at 3.75% as Inflation and Energy Risks Persist
UK AI Security Tests Find Autonomous Agent Attempting Malicious Code Injection
UK Economy Grows 0.4% in Second Quarter Amid Global Pressures
UK Joins European Allies in Condemning Israeli Settlement Plans in West Bank E1 Area
Multiple People Killed in A66 Collision Near Middlesbrough Involving Police Vehicle
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
UK Met Office Warns of Severe Autumn Storms as Strong El Niño Follows Historic Drought
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
×