London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Aug 23, 2026

Sunak warns of strike damage to kids after teachers reject ‘insulting’ pay offer

Sunak warns of strike damage to kids after teachers reject ‘insulting’ pay offer

Fresh strikes set to take place on April 27 and May 2 after union rejects ‘insulting’ pay offer
Rishi Sunak said the new wave of teachers’ strikes would be “enormously damaging” to children, insisting the pay offer rejected by the NEU on Monday was “very reasonable”.

Teachers are set to walk out on April 27 and May 2 after 98 per cent of National Education Union members rejected the offer it described as “insulting”.

But the Prime Minister told broadcasters he was “extremely disappointed with the actions of the NEU teaching union”, adding that the union had been offered a new pay deal “worth about 8 per cent on average”.

He said: “In spite of all of that…the NEU has rejected that and announced new strike dates which will be enormously damaging to our children, whose education has already suffered in the face of Covid.”

But Mr Sunak refused to say if a £1000 one off payment for teachers would now be withdrawn following the NEU rejection, saying only: “We have made a very reasonable pay offer.”

More than 191,000 teachers in England had voted against Education Secretary Gillian Keegan’s offer, the NEU announced at its annual conference in Harrogate today. Delegates broke into chants of “come on Gill, pay the bill”.

Most teachers in England have had a five per cent pay rise this year.

The Government had proposed an additional one-off £1,000 payment and an average 4.5 per cent rise for most staff in the next school year.

It had also pledged to create a taskforce to help reduce teacher workload. Dr Mary Bousted and Kevin Courtney, joint general secretaries of the NEU, said: “We have today written to the Education Secretary informing her of the next two days of strike action on April 27 and May 2 that NEU teacher members in England will now be taking.”

The action will be a blow for children who have already had their education disrupted by a total of seven days of strikes by NEU members this year, including four days in London schools.

Dr Bousted and Mr Courtney said the union would work to ensure pupils in Years 11 and 13 — crucial exam years — have a “full programme of education” on strike days.

Downing Street said it was “extremely disappointed” with the NEU’s decision to back more strikes, saying it would add to the disruption children have faced in school over the past few years.

The Prime Minister’s official spokesman said: “With a week of classroom time already lost and exams fast approaching it is extremely disappointing the NEU have called for more strike action. That decision will also result in less money for teachers this year with the independent pay review body looking at pay for next year only whereas with the government’s deal they could have had an extra £1000 in their pay packet.

“We continue to call on the NEU given the level of disruption children have already seen in recent years to their education to not take strike action. We have put forward a funded pay offer which we think is fair and proportionate. The NEU membership have voted against it …now it falls to the pay review body process in setting pay for next year.”

Asked if the Government would return with a revised offer, the spokesman added that there were “no plans to do that”. He said: “We remain open to further discussions but we felt this was a fair and reasonable offer.”

Ms Keegan described the ballot result as “extremely disappointing” and said the Government had negotiated “in good faith”.

Dr Bousted and Mr Courtney told conference delegates that the offer showed an “astounding lack of judgment and understanding of the desperate situation in the education system”.

They said: “No teacher wants to be on strike. Nor can they accept this offer that does nothing to address the decades of below inflation pay increases making them the worst paid teachers in the UK.

“The offer will do nothing to stem the teacher recruitment and retention crisis which is so damaging to our children and young people’s education. The Education Secretary has united the profession in its outrage at this insulting pay offer.”

In a message to parents, they also said the union did not want to disrupt education, adding: “Our action is aimed at getting the Government to invest in the education of this generation of children and the people who teach them.”

Responding to the announcement, the Education Secretary said: “After costing children almost a week of time in the classroom and with exams fast approaching, it is extremely disappointing that the NEU have called more strike action.

“Following a week negotiating in good faith, the Government offered teachers a £1,000 payment on top of this year’s pay rise, a commitment to significantly cut workload, and a headline pay increase of 4.5 per cent for next year — above both inflation and average earnings growth.

The offer was funded, including major new investment of over half a billion pounds, in addition to the record funding already planned for school budgets.

“Pay will now be decided by the independent pay review body which will recommend pay rises for next year.”

It comes as Louise Atkinson, the president of the NEU, today told members that she had organised her first strike at the age of nine. She said: “I encouraged the girls in my class to refuse to go back in after lunch, instead sitting on the goal line in protest at the fact that we were not allowed to play football.”

Ms Atkinson also attacked Ofsted, saying that the schools watchdog was the “driver for so much that is wrong in our schools and colleges”.
Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Iranian Hackers Shut Down British Power Plant for Four Days in Landmark Cyber Attack
Novak Djokovic Reveals Relentless Self-Doubt and Rejects Retirement in New Documentary
Trump Imposes 50% Tariffs on Canadian Goods After Bilateral Trade Talks Collapse
Australia Combines Indigenous Fire Knowledge With Satellite Tech to Combat Catastrophic Wildfires
Father and Son Jailed in Scotland Over £900,000 Airport Cannabis Smuggling Operation
UK Fraud Reports Surge Sevenfold as Criminals Exploit QR Codes in Parking Meters and Phishing Emails
Brighton Thrash Aston Villa in Four-Goal Opening Half as Manchester City Trail Bournemouth
Erin Patterson Appeals Triple Murder Convictions After Hotel Mixed Sequestered Jury With Prosecution
Bank of England Maintains Close Watch on Banks Amid Global Economic Uncertainty
Warm Weather and Tourism Support UK High Street Spending During Summer
Westminster Faces Continuing Political and Administrative Fallout From Epstein Files Release
UK Invests in Domestic Defence Drone Manufacturing to Strengthen Military Supply Chains
Around Five Million UK Households Face Higher Mortgage Payments by 2028
Bluetongue Virus Cases Rise Across England, Wales and Scotland
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
Historic Summer Droughts Threaten UK Harvests and Put Further Pressure on Food Prices
UK Economy Holds Up in Second Quarter Despite Global Energy and Geopolitical Pressures
UK Opens National Artificial Intelligence Safety Testing Facility
UK Government Finalizes Plans to Bring Remaining Regional Rail Services Into Public Ownership
Environment Agency Imposes Record Penalties on Water Companies Over Illegal Sewage Discharges
Great British Energy Announces Offshore Wind Partnership in North Sea
UK Government Tightens Planning Rules to Accelerate Housing Development
NHS Launches Digital Overhaul to Cut Elective Care Waiting Lists
Bank of England Signals Interest Rates May Stay Higher for Longer as Inflation Pressures Persist
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Bank of England Holds Interest Rate at 3.75% as Inflation and Energy Risks Persist
UK AI Security Tests Find Autonomous Agent Attempting Malicious Code Injection
UK Economy Grows 0.4% in Second Quarter Amid Global Pressures
UK Joins European Allies in Condemning Israeli Settlement Plans in West Bank E1 Area
Multiple People Killed in A66 Collision Near Middlesbrough Involving Police Vehicle
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
UK Met Office Warns of Severe Autumn Storms as Strong El Niño Follows Historic Drought
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
×