London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Friday, Aug 29, 2025

Second person dies after crush at Brixton Academy

Second person dies after crush at Brixton Academy

Gaby Hutchinson worked as one of the contracted security providers at the event

A second person, aged just 23, has died following a crush at a concert at the O2 Brixton Academy on Thursday.

Gaby Hutchinson, who had been working security at the event, was one of three people badly injured when ticketless fans tried to get into a show by Nigerian artist Asake at the south London venue on Thursday evening.

He died in the early hours of Monday, the Met confirmed.

Gaby’s death comes two days after Rebecca Ikumelo, a 33-year-old mother-of-two from Newham who was also seriously injured in the crush, died in hospital on Saturday.

Metropolitan Police Ch Supt Colin Wingrove described the news another person has died as “devastating”.


The scene outside Brixton’s O2 Academy on Monday

“I wish to express my heartfelt condolences to Gaby’s family at this unimaginably difficult time,” he said.

The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, also expressed his condolences to his loved ones in a statement released on Monday night, adding that City Hall is “working to ensure nothing like this happens again”.

“I am devastated by the death of Gaby Hutchinson, the second life to tragically be lost following the appalling events on Thursday night in Brixton,” he said.

“On behalf of all Londoners, I would like to extend my heartfelt condolences to his family and loved ones at this extremely difficult time.”

Rebecca Ikumelo


Eight people were taken to hospital with serious injuries on Thursday and one woman, 21, remains in a critical condition after a crowd of ticketless fans tried to get into the gig, which attracted around 4,000 people.

Metropolitan Police said Rebecca, Gaby and the 21-year-old who remains fighting for her life had all been in the foyer of the Brixton O2 Academy when the crush happened.

Detectives from the Met’s Specialist Crime Command are “working hard to established exactly what happened on Thursday night”, Scotland Yard said on Monday.

A large crowd gathered at the music venue on Thursday night


“The investigation is large and complex,” said a spokesperson. “Officers are reviewing CCTV, phone footage, speaking to witnesses and conducting forensic examinations.”

Police cordons outside the venue have been removed, but cordons remain in place inside the building while officers continue to examine the scene.

An online page for the submission of photos, videos and information has been created by police.

“There were around 4,000 potential witnesses present at the time of this incident and we urge any members of the public with information to come forward,” the Met said.

Police officers were initially called to the long-standing music venue at 9.04pm on Thursday following reports of a large crowd gathered outside. A further call was made at 9.35pm reporting people were attempting to force entry into the venue.

The Met has made a referral to the police watchdog Independent Office for Police Conduct.

Family of Rebecca, a nursing graduate, described her as “an adorable mother of two children who loved working with kids”. “She was well respected in the family for her care, kindness and love,” they said.

“Her parents call her Tosin (short for Oluwatosin) meaning ‘Lord is Worthy’.”

Singer Asake said he was “overwhelmed with grief” following Rebecca’s death, and that he had spoken with her family.

Rebecca Ikumelo


“My team and I are still awaiting the full debrief back from the venue management and the police to determine what exactly led to all the disruption caused and ultimately Rebecca’s passing,” he wrote on Instagram on Saturday.

Speaking on the night of the tragedy, one woman told the Standard she had fallen amid the mass of people rushing in and had been “kicked around like a football”.

She told the Standard: “I was going into the concert and I was crushed from behind. The crowd was insane.

“I fell down, they were stepping on my head. I couldn’t breathe.”

Florence Eshalomi, Labour MP for Vauxhall, said in a statement posted on Twitter: “It is very clear ticketing and security procedures have not performed as they should have for this incident to have occurred.

“We need answers about exactly how this happened and safeguards against it in future.”

On Monday London’s Mayor said City Hall is in contact with venues and authorities “across London” to ensure “nothing like this happens again”.

“The urgent investigation into what happened continues and I urge anyone with information or footage from the incident to submit this to investigators via the public portal that has been set up by the police,” said Mr Khan. “You can also submit information and footage to police anonymously via Crimestoppers online or by calling 0800-555-111.

“City Hall are in close contact with the venue and authorities across London about working to ensure nothing like this happens again and I won’t rest until we have the answers all those impacted by the tragic Brixton incident need and deserve.”

Asake, whose real name is Ahmed Ololade, was recently nominated for BBC Radio 1’s Sound of 2023 award – for artists breaking through in the UK.

Ahead of the gig, he urged fans not to go to the venue without a valid ticket.

The concert was the third of three sold-out dates at the 4,921-standing capacity venue and concluded a run of UK dates.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Bruce Willis Relocated Due to Advanced Dementia
French and Korean Nuclear Majors Clash As EU Launches Foreign Subsidy Probe
EU Stands Firm on Digital Rules as Trump Warns of Retaliation
Getting Ready for the 3rd Time in Its History, Germany Approves Voluntary Military Service for Teenagers
Argentine President Javier Milei Evacuated After Stones Thrown During Campaign Event
Denmark Confronts U.S. Diplomat Over Covert Trump-Linked Influence in Greenland
Starmer Should Back Away from ECHR, Says Jack Straw
Trump Demands RICO Charges Against George Soros and Son for Funding Violent Protests
Taylor Swift Announces Engagement to NFL Star Travis Kelce
France May Need IMF Bailout, Warns Finance Minister
Chinese AI Chipmaker Cambricon Posts Record Profit as Beijing Pushes Pivot from Nvidia
After the Shock of Defeat, Iranians Yearn for Change
Ukraine Finally Allows Young Men Aged Eighteen to Twenty-Two to Leave the Country
The Porn Remains, Privacy Disappears: How Britain Broke the Internet in Ten Days
YouTube Altered Content by Artificial Intelligence – Without Permission
Welcome to The Definition of Insanity: Germany Edition
Just a reminder, this is Michael Jackson's daughter, Paris.
Spotify’s Strange Move: The Feature Nobody Asked For – Returns
Manhunt in Australia: Armed Anti-Government Suspect Kills Police Officers Sent to Arrest Him
China Launches World’s Most Powerful Neutrino Detector
How Beijing-Linked Networks Shape Elections in New York City
Ukrainian Refugee Iryna Zarutska Fled War To US, Stabbed To Death
Elon Musk Sues Apple and OpenAI Over Alleged App Store Monopoly
2 Australian Police Shot Dead In Encounter In Rural Victoria State
Vietnam Evacuates Hundreds of Thousands as Typhoon Kajiki Strikes; China’s Sanya Shuts Down
UK Government Delays Decision on China’s Proposed London Embassy Amid Concerns Over Redacted Plans
A 150-Year Tradition to Be Abolished? Uproar Over the Popular Central Park Attraction
A new faith called Robotheism claims artificial intelligence isn’t just smart but actually God itself
Deputy Prime Minister Angela Rayner Purchases Third Property Amid Housing Tax Reforms Debate
HSBC Switzerland Ends Relationships with Over 1,000 Clients from Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Qatar, and Egypt
Sharia Law Made Legally Binding in Austria Despite Warnings Over 'Incompatible' Values
Italian Facebook Group Sharing Intimate Images Without Consent Shut Down Amid Police Investigation
Dutch Foreign Minister Resigns Amid Deadlock Over Israel Sanctions
Trump and Allies Send Messages of Support to Ukraine on Independence Day Amid Ongoing Conflict
China Reels as Telegram Chat Group Shares Hidden-Camera Footage of Women and Children
Sam Nicoresti becomes first transgender comedian to win Edinburgh Comedy Award
Builders uncover historic human remains in Lancashire house renovation
Australia Wants to Tax Your Empty Bedrooms
MotoGP Cameraman Narrowly Avoids Pedro Acosta Crash at Hungarian Grand Prix
FBI Investigates John Bolton Over Classified Documents in High-Profile Raids
Report reveals OpenAI pitched national ChatGPT Plus subscription to UK ministers
Labour set to freeze income tax thresholds in long-term 'stealth' tax raid
Coca‑Cola explores sale of Costa coffee chain
Trial hears dog walker was chased and fatally stabbed by trio
Restaurateur resigns from government hospitality council over tax criticism
Spanish City funfair shut after serious ride injury
Suspected arson at Ilford restaurant leaves three in critical condition
Tottenham beat Manchester City to go top of Premier League
Bank holiday heatwave to hit 30°C before remnants of Hurricane Erin arrive
UK to deploy immigration advisers to West Africa to block fake visas
×