London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Nov 29, 2025

Palace will not publish review into handling of Meghan bullying claims

Palace will not publish review into handling of Meghan bullying claims

Investigation into allegations made about duchess will stay private due to ‘confidentiality’ obligations
A Buckingham Palace investigation into the handling of bullying allegations made by staff against the Duchess of Sussex will not be published due to “confidentiality” obligations, a senior palace source has said.

The independent review was announced in March 2021 to see what “lessons could be learned” after it was alleged Meghan had driven out two personal assistants and “humiliated” staff on several occasions.

At the time, the palace said that any changes in policies or procedures recommended by the review, which was conducted by an independent legal firm, would be published in the annual sovereign grant accounts.

But no details are contained in the accounts and officials have declined to comment, except to say that changes had been made to the palace’s HR policy as a result of the review. However, they have refused to identify the changes.

Neither would sources confirm if the duchess herself had been interviewed as part of the process. Meghan’s lawyers denied the allegations when they were made.

A senior palace source said: “HR matters involving individuals are private and those individuals who participated in the review did so on that basis, and therefore have a right to confidentiality in relation to the discussions that took place, and what was said.”

The palace was under no obligation, it said, because the review was funded internally and not through public money from the sovereign grant.

Denying that the palace had moved the goalposts, the source said the objectives “have been satisfied because lessons have been learned”. Asked if Meghan had been made aware of the report’s findings, the source added that the individuals who participated in the review had been told it was concluded, but added: “I am not going to say who participated.”

The reluctance to make the results public may be an effort to not further heighten tensions between the Sussexes and other members of the royal family, especially following the recent family reunion that saw Harry and Meghan fly to the UK for the platinum jubilee with their children: Archie, three; and Lilibet, one.

A royal source said the couple were now financially independent, which was a “great credit to them”. Prince Charles’s accounts reveal his bill for the activities of William and Harry and their families, along with other capital expenditure costs, dropped by £1.2m over two years, with the Sussexes no longer listed in the accounts. The amount fell from £5.6m in 2019-20, when the Sussexes were still in the UK, to £4.38m with Charles no longer funding them. But it has not been detailed what proportion of that drop was solely due to the Sussexes’ departure as working royals.

Charles had a “very emotional” first meeting with his granddaughter Lilibet, and a long-awaited reunion with grandson Archie during the jubilee. The source said of the Sussexes: “The prince and duchess [of Cornwall] were absolutely thrilled to see them.

“The prince, of course, hasn’t seen his grandson Archie for a bit of time and so it was very, very special to have some time with him. He hadn’t met Lili, his granddaughter, and so to meet her was very emotional. A very, very wonderful thing.”

There was little clarity in the accounts over the Sussexes’ financial arrangements regarding Frogmore Cottage. It was announced last year that the couple had repaid the £2.4m of sovereign grant money spent on refurbishing the property ahead of their wedding. A source said on Wednesday that the £2.4m the couple repaid also covered their rental obligations on the property, which remains their UK home. But the source declined to comment on whether the Queen or Charles were or had contributed to any rental or maintenance costs, only saying that nothing had been paid from the sovereign grant.

The year’s accounts showed that Charles’s annual private income from the Duchy of Cornwall was £23m. It increased by £2.6m, or nearly 13%, from £20.4m in 2020-21 as the Duchy’s profits rebounded after the pandemic. He paid nearly £5.9m in tax.

The sovereign grant increased marginally by £400,000 to £86.3m during 2021-22. A core element of £51.8m funds the Queen’s official duties and her household, and an additional £34.5m went towards the ongoing 10-year reservicing project for Buckingham Palace.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s controversial tour of the Bahamas, Belize and Jamaica was the most expensive overseas trip at £226,383. Charles’s visit to Barbados to mark the country’s transition to a republic within the Commonwealth was the second most expensive at £138,457.
Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
250 Still Missing in the Massive Fire, 94 Killed. One Day After the Disaster: Survivor Rescued on the 16th Floor
Trump: National Guard Soldier Who Was Shot in Washington Has Died; Second Soldier Fighting for His Life
UK Chancellor Reeves Defends Tax Rises as Essential to Reduce Child Poverty and Stabilise Public Finances
No Evidence Found for Claim That UK Schools Are Shifting to Teaching American English
European Powers Urge Israel to Halt West Bank Settler Violence Amid Surge in Attacks
"I Would Have Given Her a Kidney": She Lent Bezos’s Ex-Wife $1,000 — and Received Millions in Return
European States Approve First-ever Military-Grade Surveillance Network via ESA
UK to Slash Key Pension Tax Perk, Targeting High Earners Under New Budget
UK Government Announces £150 Annual Cut to Household Energy Bills Through Levy Reforms
UK Court Hears Challenge to Ban on Palestine Action as Critics Decry Heavy-Handed Measures
Investors Rush Into UK Gilts and Sterling After Budget Eases Fiscal Concerns
UK to Raise Online Betting Taxes by £1.1 Billion Under New Budget — Firms Warn of Fallout
Lamine Yamal? The ‘Heir to Messi’ Lost to Barcelona — and the Kingdom Is in a Frenzy
Warner Music Group Drops Suit Against Suno, Launches Licensed AI-Music Deal
HP to Cut up to 6,000 Jobs Globally as It Ramps Up AI Integration
MediaWorld Sold iPad Air for €15 — Then Asked Customers to Return Them or Pay More
UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer Promises ‘Full-Time’ Education for All Children as School Attendance Slips
UK Extends Sugar Tax to Sweetened Milkshakes and Lattes in 2028 Health Push
UK Government Backs £49 Billion Plan for Heathrow Third Runway and Expansion
UK Gambling Firms Report £1bn Surge in Annual Profits as Pressure Mounts for Higher Betting Taxes
UK Shares Advance Ahead of Budget as Financials and Consumer Staples Lead Gains
Domino’s UK CEO Andrew Rennie Steps Down Amid Strategic Reset
UK Economy Stalls as Reeves Faces First Budget Test
UK Economy’s Weak Start Adds Pressure on Prime Minister Starmer
UK Government Acknowledges Billionaire Exodus Amid Tax Rise Concerns
UK Budget 2025: Markets Brace as Chancellor Faces Fiscal Tightrope
UK Unveils Strategic Plan to Secure Critical Mineral Supply Chains
UK Taskforce Calls for Radical Reset of Nuclear Regulation to Cut Costs and Accelerate Build
UK Government Launches Consultation on Major Overhaul of Settlement Rules
Google Struggles to Meet AI Demand as Infrastructure, Energy and Supply-Chain Gaps Deepen
Car Parts Leader Warns Europe Faces Heavy Job Losses in ‘Darwinian’ Auto Shake-Out
Arsenal Move Six Points Clear After Eze’s Historic Hat-Trick in Derby Rout
Wealthy New Yorkers Weigh Second Homes as the ‘Mamdani Effect’ Ripples Through Luxury Markets
Families Accuse OpenAI of Enabling ‘AI-Driven Delusions’ After Multiple Suicides
UK Unveils Critical-Minerals Strategy to Break China Supply-Chain Grip
Taylor Swift’s “The Fate of Ophelia” Extends U.K. No. 1 Run to Five Weeks
UK VPN Sign-Ups Surge by Over 1,400 % as Age-Verification Law Takes Effect
Former MEP Nathan Gill Jailed for Over Ten Years After Taking Pro-Russia Bribes
Majority of UK Entrepreneurs Regard Government as ‘Anti-Business’, Survey Shows
UK’s Starmer and US President Trump Align as Geneva Talks Probe Ukraine Peace Plan
UK Prime Minister Signals Former Prince Andrew Should Testify to US Epstein Inquiry
Royal Navy Deploys HMS Severn to Shadow Russian Corvette and Tanker Off UK Coast
China’s Wedding Boom: Nightclubs, Mountains and a Demographic Reset
Fugees Founding Member Pras Michel Sentenced to 14 Years in High-Profile US Foreign Influence Case
WhatsApp’s Unexpected Rise Reshapes American Messaging Habits
United States: Judge Dressed Up as Elvis During Hearings – and Was Forced to Resign
Johnson Blasts ‘Incoherent’ Covid Inquiry Findings Amid Report’s Harsh Critique of His Government
Lord Rothermere Secures £500 Million Deal to Acquire Telegraph Titles
Maduro Tightens Security Measures as U.S. Strike Threat Intensifies
U.S. Envoys Deliver Ultimatum to Ukraine: Sign Peace Deal by Thursday or Risk Losing American Support
×