London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Feb 22, 2026

Ofsted investigates rise in primary-age children in alternative provision

Ofsted investigates rise in primary-age children in alternative provision

Exclusive: Chief inspector says some children being placed in unregistered, unsafe settings after being excluded from school
The schools inspectorate Ofsted has launched an urgent inquiry into a sharp rise in the number of primary-age children – some as young as five – being excluded from school and placed in institutions that can be unregulated, “unkempt and unsafe”.

The chief inspector of schools in England, Amanda Spielman, told the Guardian that some children were being removed from mainstream schools because their needs and behaviour were seen as “too challenging”, and were being placed in alternative provision (AP) “with little thought of their futures”.

She has called on the government to make it a legal requirement for all AP to be registered, warning that inspectors have found pupils in unregistered settings playing video games all day in unkempt and unsafe buildings where staff do not appear to care whether they attend or not. Some “exist on the edge of the law”, she said.

Ofsted inspectors have reported visiting schools in caravans and on industrial estates. Local authorities can pay annual fees of £30,000 or even more to private and sometimes unregistered providers.

According to Ofsted, the number of pupils taken out of their primary school and referred to alternative educational settings has risen 27% in the last four years, and there are more than 7,000 pupils aged 11 and under being taught in AP.

While the reasons behind the increase are unclear, there are fears the figure will rise further in the coming months as many vulnerable children struggle to adapt to the demands of the school day after disruption caused by the pandemic.

Writing for the Guardian, Spielman said: “Every child, regardless of their background, deserves a good education and the chance to reach their full potential. But some children – often the most vulnerable – just don’t get that. While most children have been back in the classroom since September, some children with behavioural, emotional or health problems are instead in alternative provision instead of a normal school.”

AP is for children who struggle with conventional education or whose needs cannot be met by mainstream schools. Many come from deprived backgrounds, some have families affected by alcohol and drug abuse as well as mental illness, and 80% have special educational needs and disabilities (Send).

“Sometimes it is a useful short-term fix for excluded pupils, serving a valuable purpose in re-engaging them in education; sometimes it does a good job of teaching young people right through to age 16,” said Spielman. “But I am concerned that it is sometimes used just to move on children whose needs and behaviour are deemed too challenging, with little thought of their future.”

According to Ofsted, the overall number of children in AP has increased 14% over the last four years. Spielman said: “I’m particularly concerned that the number of primary-age children referred to AP has risen by 27% since 2017 – there are now over 7,000 under-11s in AP. We’re seeing children as young as five attending AP settings, after headteachers have taken what must be an extremely difficult decision to exclude them from primary school.

“In light of this, I have commissioned new research to better understand the role that AP plays in the education system, and to find out why primary pupils are being referred to alternative provision in the first place. We will also explore how the pandemic has changed the AP landscape.”

The Department for Education (DfE) disagreed with Ofsted’s claim that there had been an increase in numbers of primary placements in AP in recent years, disputing the inclusion of placements in non-maintained special schools in its calculations.

A DfE spokesperson said the number of pupils in state-funded AP had gone down over the past few years, but added: “We are looking at reforms to incentivise more early support, and to ensure that those who are permanently excluded remain safe and supported, as part of the ongoing review of the Send system. This includes pupils in unregistered settings and in primary AP, though permanent exclusion of young children is rare.

“We are investing in programmes that support pupils to remain engaged in their education and training, and the chancellor has announced an additional £2.6bn to deliver new places and improve existing provision for pupils with Send, including those who require AP and special schools.”
Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK Government Weighs Removing Prince Andrew from Line of Succession After Arrest
Prince Andrew’s Arrest in UK Rekindles Scrutiny Over US Handling of Epstein Records
Trump’s Strategic Warning to UK Over Chagos Islands Deal Sparks Diplomatic Whiplash
Starmer Government Postpones Local Elections Affecting 4.5 Million Voters
UK Economy Remains Fragile Despite Recent Upturn in Headline Indicators
UK Businesses Face Fresh Uncertainty Following US Tariff Ruling
Reform UK’s Senior Figures Face Scrutiny Over Remarks on Women and Family Policy
UK Electric Vehicle Drive Threatened by Shortage of 44,000 Qualified Technicians
University of Kentucky Trustees Advance Academic Reforms and Approve Coliseum Plaza Purchase
Boris Johnson Calls for Immediate Deployment of UK Troops to Support Ukraine
OpenAI CEO Sam Altman praises the rapid progress of Chinese tech companies.
North Korea's capital experiences a significant construction boom with the development of a new city district dubbed 'Pyonghattan'.
New electric vehicle charging service eliminates waiting times
Vox Populi confronts Justin Trudeau at Davos over vaccination policies
Poland's President Karol Nawrocki ENDS support for Ukrainian citizens:
The mayor of Rotherham in Britain
One day after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest, British police are searching his former home, while U.K. lawmakers will consider introducing legislation to remove him from the line of royal succession
Vandana Shiva reminding the world that Bill Gates did not invent anything.
Italy's PM Giorgia Meloni highlights record employment and economic growth
UK Confirms Preferential U.S. Trading Terms Will Continue After Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
U.S. and U.K. to Hold Talks on Diego Garcia as Iran Objects to Potential Military Use
UK Officials Weigh Possible Changes to Prince Andrew’s Position in Line of Succession Amid Ongoing Scrutiny
British Police Probe Epstein’s UK Airport Links and Expand High-Profile Inquiries
The Impact of U.S. Sanctions on Cuba's Humanitarian Crisis: A Tightening Noose
Trump Directs Government to Release UFO and Alien Information
Trump Signs Global 10% Tariffs on Imports
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
British Co-founder of ASOS falls to his death from Pattaya apartment
Early 2026 Data Suggests Tentative Recovery for UK Businesses and Households
UK Introduces Digital-First Passport Rules for Dual Citizens in Border Control Overhaul
Unable to Access Live Financial Data for January UK Surplus Report
UK Government Considers Law to Remove Prince Andrew from Royal Line of Succession
UK ‘Working Closely with US’ to Assess Impact of Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
Trump Criticises UK Decision to Restrict Use of Bases in Potential Iran Strike Scenario
UK Foreign Secretary and U.S. State Chief Hold Strategic Talks as Tensions Rise Over Joint Air Base
Two teens arrested in France for alleged terror plot.
Nordic Fracture: How Criminal Scandals and Toxic Ties are Dismantling the Norwegian Crown
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
King Charles III Opens London Fashion Week as Royal Family Faces Fresh Scrutiny
Trump’s Evolving Stance on UK Chagos Islands Deal Draws Renewed Scrutiny
House Democrat Says Former UK Ambassador Unable to Testify in Congressional Epstein Inquiry
No Record of Prince Andrew Arrest in UK as Claims Circulate Online
UK Has Not Granted US Approval to Launch Iran Strikes from RAF Bases, Government Confirms
AI Pricing Pressure Mounts as Chinese Models Undercut US Rivals and Margin Risks Grow
Global Counsel, Advisory Firm Co-Founded by Lord Mandelson, Enters Administration After Client Exodus
London High Court dispute over Ricardo Salinas’s $400mn Elektra share-backed bitcoin loan
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Former Student Files Civil Claim Against UK Authorities After Rape Charges Against Peers Are Dropped
Archer Aviation Chooses Bristol for New UK Engineering Hub to Drive Electric Air Taxi Expansion
UK Sees Surge in Medical Device Testing as Government Pushes Global Competitiveness
×