London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Nov 29, 2025

Meghan accuses royals of 'perpetuating falsehoods'

Meghan accuses royals of 'perpetuating falsehoods'

The Duchess of Sussex has said Buckingham Palace could not expect her and Prince Harry to be silent if it was "perpetuating falsehoods about us".

In a clip of Oprah Winfrey's interview with the couple, Meghan had been asked how she felt about the palace hearing her "speak your truth today".

Meghan also said: "If that comes with risk of losing things, I mean... there is a lot that has been lost already."

Buckingham Palace is investigating claims the duchess bullied royal staff.

The allegations of bullying levelled at Meghan were published after the interview with Oprah was recorded.

The interview with Oprah, which will air in the US on Sunday and in the UK on Monday, is expected to detail Harry and Meghan's short period as working royals together before they stepped down for a life in the US.

In the 30-second teaser clip released by CBS, Oprah asks the duchess: "How do you feel about the palace hearing you speak your truth today?"

Meghan replies: "I don't know how they could expect that, after all of this time, we would still just be silent if there is an active role that The Firm is playing in perpetuating falsehoods about us."

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex quit their roles as senior working royals in March 2020, and now live in California.

A report in the Times newspaper on Wednesday claimed the duchess faced a complaint made in October 2018, while the duke and duchess were living at Kensington Palace after their marriage in May of that year.

A leaked email sent from a staff member, which was published by the newspaper, alleges that Meghan drove two personal assistants out of the household. The report claims she undermined the confidence of a third member of staff.

In a statement later, Buckingham Palace - which is responsible for the hiring of royal staff - said it was "clearly very concerned about allegations in the Times" and its HR team would look into the circumstances outlined in the article.

"The Royal Household has had a Dignity at Work policy in place for a number of years and does not and will not tolerate bullying or harassment in the workplace."

The gloves have come off

If anyone thought Prince Harry and Meghan were going to restrict their criticism to the British media, a sector they have made clear they loathe, they should think again. "The Firm" - aka the Royal Family and its staff - is clearly in their sights.

This isn't directly about the allegations of bullying levelled at Meghan, and also to a lesser degree Harry. They were published after the interview was recorded. But the couple see the allegations as an example of how some people in the palace brief against them.

We'll have to wait for the interview to find out exactly what "falsehoods" the couple believe have been put out by the palace. The bullying allegations - which are vigorously denied by the couple - are being investigated.

But it's clear that the gloves have come off, and that the ties of family have not restrained the couple as they seek to put their side of the story.

Past and present royal employees are to be invited to speak in confidence about their experiences of working for Meghan as part of the investigation.

'Attack on her character'


The bullying allegations are denied by Meghan and Prince Harry.

A statement issued by Meghan's spokesman in response to the newspaper's story said: "The duchess is saddened by this latest attack on her character, particularly as someone who has been the target of bullying herself and is deeply committed to supporting those who have experienced pain and trauma.

"She is determined to continue her work building compassion around the world and will keep striving to set an example for doing what is right and doing what is good."

Author Anna Pasternak - who wrote a book on Princess Diana - said she thought "the whole issue stems to when Meghan first entered the Royal Family".

"I think she was naïve, she didn't really understand the monarchy or 'The Firm' as she rightly puts it, and the constricts of royal power. She was naive to think that she could modernise the monarchy, that she could have her voice and could do things her way," she told Radio 5 Live.

But Rachel C. Boyle, head of interdisciplinary studies at Leeds Beckett University, said the Oprah interview was "absolutely the right thing to do at this point".

"I feel like Meghan has not been given the opportunity to defend herself or to respond to any of the claims that have previously been made about her in the media, in a space that allows her to express herself."

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex now live in California

Meghan and Prince Harry's TV interview with Oprah will be aired on CBS in the US on the evening of Sunday 7 March.

In the UK, the interview will be screened on ITV at 21:00 GMT on Monday 8 March.

CBS has said Meghan will be interviewed about "stepping into life as a royal, marriage, motherhood" and "how she is handling life under intense public pressure".

She will then be joined by Prince Harry, and the couple will speak about their move to the US last year and their future plans.

In an earlier clip released by CBS, the Duke of Sussex drew parallels between the treatment of his late mother, Diana, Princess of Wales, and Meghan.

Just hours before the interview is aired in the US, a special programme to celebrate Commonwealth Day will be broadcast on BBC One at 17:00 on Sunday 7 March.

It comes as Buckingham Palace announced that the Duke of Edinburgh has undergone a successful procedure for a pre-existing heart condition and will be remaining in hospital for a number of days.


The interview will air in the US on Sunday


Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
250 Still Missing in the Massive Fire, 94 Killed. One Day After the Disaster: Survivor Rescued on the 16th Floor
Trump: National Guard Soldier Who Was Shot in Washington Has Died; Second Soldier Fighting for His Life
UK Chancellor Reeves Defends Tax Rises as Essential to Reduce Child Poverty and Stabilise Public Finances
No Evidence Found for Claim That UK Schools Are Shifting to Teaching American English
European Powers Urge Israel to Halt West Bank Settler Violence Amid Surge in Attacks
"I Would Have Given Her a Kidney": She Lent Bezos’s Ex-Wife $1,000 — and Received Millions in Return
European States Approve First-ever Military-Grade Surveillance Network via ESA
UK to Slash Key Pension Tax Perk, Targeting High Earners Under New Budget
UK Government Announces £150 Annual Cut to Household Energy Bills Through Levy Reforms
UK Court Hears Challenge to Ban on Palestine Action as Critics Decry Heavy-Handed Measures
Investors Rush Into UK Gilts and Sterling After Budget Eases Fiscal Concerns
UK to Raise Online Betting Taxes by £1.1 Billion Under New Budget — Firms Warn of Fallout
Lamine Yamal? The ‘Heir to Messi’ Lost to Barcelona — and the Kingdom Is in a Frenzy
Warner Music Group Drops Suit Against Suno, Launches Licensed AI-Music Deal
HP to Cut up to 6,000 Jobs Globally as It Ramps Up AI Integration
MediaWorld Sold iPad Air for €15 — Then Asked Customers to Return Them or Pay More
UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer Promises ‘Full-Time’ Education for All Children as School Attendance Slips
UK Extends Sugar Tax to Sweetened Milkshakes and Lattes in 2028 Health Push
UK Government Backs £49 Billion Plan for Heathrow Third Runway and Expansion
UK Gambling Firms Report £1bn Surge in Annual Profits as Pressure Mounts for Higher Betting Taxes
UK Shares Advance Ahead of Budget as Financials and Consumer Staples Lead Gains
Domino’s UK CEO Andrew Rennie Steps Down Amid Strategic Reset
UK Economy Stalls as Reeves Faces First Budget Test
UK Economy’s Weak Start Adds Pressure on Prime Minister Starmer
UK Government Acknowledges Billionaire Exodus Amid Tax Rise Concerns
UK Budget 2025: Markets Brace as Chancellor Faces Fiscal Tightrope
UK Unveils Strategic Plan to Secure Critical Mineral Supply Chains
UK Taskforce Calls for Radical Reset of Nuclear Regulation to Cut Costs and Accelerate Build
UK Government Launches Consultation on Major Overhaul of Settlement Rules
Google Struggles to Meet AI Demand as Infrastructure, Energy and Supply-Chain Gaps Deepen
Car Parts Leader Warns Europe Faces Heavy Job Losses in ‘Darwinian’ Auto Shake-Out
Arsenal Move Six Points Clear After Eze’s Historic Hat-Trick in Derby Rout
Wealthy New Yorkers Weigh Second Homes as the ‘Mamdani Effect’ Ripples Through Luxury Markets
Families Accuse OpenAI of Enabling ‘AI-Driven Delusions’ After Multiple Suicides
UK Unveils Critical-Minerals Strategy to Break China Supply-Chain Grip
Taylor Swift’s “The Fate of Ophelia” Extends U.K. No. 1 Run to Five Weeks
UK VPN Sign-Ups Surge by Over 1,400 % as Age-Verification Law Takes Effect
Former MEP Nathan Gill Jailed for Over Ten Years After Taking Pro-Russia Bribes
Majority of UK Entrepreneurs Regard Government as ‘Anti-Business’, Survey Shows
UK’s Starmer and US President Trump Align as Geneva Talks Probe Ukraine Peace Plan
UK Prime Minister Signals Former Prince Andrew Should Testify to US Epstein Inquiry
Royal Navy Deploys HMS Severn to Shadow Russian Corvette and Tanker Off UK Coast
China’s Wedding Boom: Nightclubs, Mountains and a Demographic Reset
Fugees Founding Member Pras Michel Sentenced to 14 Years in High-Profile US Foreign Influence Case
WhatsApp’s Unexpected Rise Reshapes American Messaging Habits
United States: Judge Dressed Up as Elvis During Hearings – and Was Forced to Resign
Johnson Blasts ‘Incoherent’ Covid Inquiry Findings Amid Report’s Harsh Critique of His Government
Lord Rothermere Secures £500 Million Deal to Acquire Telegraph Titles
Maduro Tightens Security Measures as U.S. Strike Threat Intensifies
U.S. Envoys Deliver Ultimatum to Ukraine: Sign Peace Deal by Thursday or Risk Losing American Support
×