London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Nov 29, 2025

Loujain al Hathloul: Saudi women's rights activist sentenced to almost six years in prison

Loujain al Hathloul: Saudi women's rights activist sentenced to almost six years in prison

The imprisonment of Ms al Hathloul is expected to be a point of contention for the incoming Biden administration in the US.

One of Saudi Arabia's most prominent women's rights activists has been sentenced to nearly six years in prison under vague counter-terrorism laws, according to state-linked media.

Human rights campaigner Loujain al Hathloul, 31, has been held in pre-trial detention since May 2018.

She was one of a group of activists arrested without clear explanation weeks before Saudi Arabia lifted the female driving ban.

This month, she was tried in a specialist terrorism court that found her guilty of conspiring against the kingdom, alongside a series of other crimes set out in the country's broadly-worded counter-terrorism laws.

Her imprisonment is expected to be a point of contention between Saudi Arabia and the incoming administration of US president-elect Joe Biden, who has vowed to review America's relationship with the kingdom.
Advertisement

Mr Biden has criticised the Trump administration for giving Saudi Arabia a "blank cheque" over its targeting of female activists such as Ms al Hathloul, and journalists such as Jamal Khashoggi.
Ms al Hathloul had campaigned for the right for women to drive in Saudi Arabia and protested against the system of male guardianship, where men control aspects of the lives of female family members - from travel and jobs to marriage.

The sentence was reported on Sunday by Sabq, a state-linked news agency, which said its reporter was allowed inside the courtroom. It reported that the judge said the defendant had voluntarily confessed to the crimes without coercion.

Her charges were agitating for change, pursuing a foreign agenda, using the internet to harm public order, and cooperating with individuals and entities that have committed crimes under anti-terror laws.

In a statement, her sister Lina al Hathloul, said: "My sister is not a terrorist, she is an activist. To be sentenced for her activism for the very reforms that MBS (Mohammed bin Salman) and the Saudi kingdom so proudly tout is the ultimate hypocrisy."


Loujain al Hathloul and Lina al Hathloul


Alongside time already served, the court suspended 34 months of her sentence. But her family said that when she is released in three months, she will be prohibited from leaving the kingdom for five years and will serve three of those years on probation.

She has 30 days to appeal the verdict.

Speaking to Sky News when the trial was announced, Lina said her sister's physical and mental state were both terrible.

"My sister is really not healthy," Lina said in a conversation via Skype from Berlin.

"She was on a hunger strike... her body was really shaking and her voice was very low. Psychologically and morally, she's holding on, but she's the weakest my parents have ever seen her."


Donald Trump was accused of being soft towards Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman


Last year a report by MPs and lawyers expressed "deep concern" at the condition of female detainees in the kingdom, alleging they were subject to torture and sexual abuse.

The report, authored by Scottish barrister Baroness Kennedy, alleged that Ms al Hathloul was one of a number of female activists subjected to torture and sexual abuse while in detention. The report did not provide any direct evidence to back up its allegations.

Even as a prisoner, Ms al Hathloul launched hunger strikes in protest and joined other female activists in telling Saudi judges that she was tortured and sexually assaulted by masked men during interrogations.

The women say they were caned, electrocuted and waterboarded. Some say they were forcibly groped and threatened with rape.

Saudi Arabia has denied these allegations. A court in the kingdom recently dismissed Ms al Hathloul's legal claims, citing a lack of evidence.

Her family said she had earlier rejected an offer to rescind her allegations in exchange for early release.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
250 Still Missing in the Massive Fire, 94 Killed. One Day After the Disaster: Survivor Rescued on the 16th Floor
Trump: National Guard Soldier Who Was Shot in Washington Has Died; Second Soldier Fighting for His Life
UK Chancellor Reeves Defends Tax Rises as Essential to Reduce Child Poverty and Stabilise Public Finances
No Evidence Found for Claim That UK Schools Are Shifting to Teaching American English
European Powers Urge Israel to Halt West Bank Settler Violence Amid Surge in Attacks
"I Would Have Given Her a Kidney": She Lent Bezos’s Ex-Wife $1,000 — and Received Millions in Return
European States Approve First-ever Military-Grade Surveillance Network via ESA
UK to Slash Key Pension Tax Perk, Targeting High Earners Under New Budget
UK Government Announces £150 Annual Cut to Household Energy Bills Through Levy Reforms
UK Court Hears Challenge to Ban on Palestine Action as Critics Decry Heavy-Handed Measures
Investors Rush Into UK Gilts and Sterling After Budget Eases Fiscal Concerns
UK to Raise Online Betting Taxes by £1.1 Billion Under New Budget — Firms Warn of Fallout
Lamine Yamal? The ‘Heir to Messi’ Lost to Barcelona — and the Kingdom Is in a Frenzy
Warner Music Group Drops Suit Against Suno, Launches Licensed AI-Music Deal
HP to Cut up to 6,000 Jobs Globally as It Ramps Up AI Integration
MediaWorld Sold iPad Air for €15 — Then Asked Customers to Return Them or Pay More
UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer Promises ‘Full-Time’ Education for All Children as School Attendance Slips
UK Extends Sugar Tax to Sweetened Milkshakes and Lattes in 2028 Health Push
UK Government Backs £49 Billion Plan for Heathrow Third Runway and Expansion
UK Gambling Firms Report £1bn Surge in Annual Profits as Pressure Mounts for Higher Betting Taxes
UK Shares Advance Ahead of Budget as Financials and Consumer Staples Lead Gains
Domino’s UK CEO Andrew Rennie Steps Down Amid Strategic Reset
UK Economy Stalls as Reeves Faces First Budget Test
UK Economy’s Weak Start Adds Pressure on Prime Minister Starmer
UK Government Acknowledges Billionaire Exodus Amid Tax Rise Concerns
UK Budget 2025: Markets Brace as Chancellor Faces Fiscal Tightrope
UK Unveils Strategic Plan to Secure Critical Mineral Supply Chains
UK Taskforce Calls for Radical Reset of Nuclear Regulation to Cut Costs and Accelerate Build
UK Government Launches Consultation on Major Overhaul of Settlement Rules
Google Struggles to Meet AI Demand as Infrastructure, Energy and Supply-Chain Gaps Deepen
Car Parts Leader Warns Europe Faces Heavy Job Losses in ‘Darwinian’ Auto Shake-Out
Arsenal Move Six Points Clear After Eze’s Historic Hat-Trick in Derby Rout
Wealthy New Yorkers Weigh Second Homes as the ‘Mamdani Effect’ Ripples Through Luxury Markets
Families Accuse OpenAI of Enabling ‘AI-Driven Delusions’ After Multiple Suicides
UK Unveils Critical-Minerals Strategy to Break China Supply-Chain Grip
Taylor Swift’s “The Fate of Ophelia” Extends U.K. No. 1 Run to Five Weeks
UK VPN Sign-Ups Surge by Over 1,400 % as Age-Verification Law Takes Effect
Former MEP Nathan Gill Jailed for Over Ten Years After Taking Pro-Russia Bribes
Majority of UK Entrepreneurs Regard Government as ‘Anti-Business’, Survey Shows
UK’s Starmer and US President Trump Align as Geneva Talks Probe Ukraine Peace Plan
UK Prime Minister Signals Former Prince Andrew Should Testify to US Epstein Inquiry
Royal Navy Deploys HMS Severn to Shadow Russian Corvette and Tanker Off UK Coast
China’s Wedding Boom: Nightclubs, Mountains and a Demographic Reset
Fugees Founding Member Pras Michel Sentenced to 14 Years in High-Profile US Foreign Influence Case
WhatsApp’s Unexpected Rise Reshapes American Messaging Habits
United States: Judge Dressed Up as Elvis During Hearings – and Was Forced to Resign
Johnson Blasts ‘Incoherent’ Covid Inquiry Findings Amid Report’s Harsh Critique of His Government
Lord Rothermere Secures £500 Million Deal to Acquire Telegraph Titles
Maduro Tightens Security Measures as U.S. Strike Threat Intensifies
U.S. Envoys Deliver Ultimatum to Ukraine: Sign Peace Deal by Thursday or Risk Losing American Support
×