London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Aug 23, 2026

Harry's court case raises awkward questions

Harry's court case raises awkward questions

The court documents revealed by the Duke of Sussex's latest phone-hacking claim against the tabloid press have sent out a volley of unanswered questions.

And that is less than ideal for the Royal Family, who might have wanted these days to be smoothed out like a red carpet in the run-up to the Coronation.

For instance, what was the purpose of Prince Harry in revealing that his brother, the Prince of Wales, had reached a private settlement with the publishers of the Sun and the former News of the World?

It has been claimed in some places - not least on social media - that it was an attempt to undermine Prince William, and by extension the wider Royal Family, at a time when they were hoping to build up a more positive public mood.

But that is very much not the intention, according to sources close to Prince Harry, who is said to be following events in the High Court in London by video link from the US.

From Prince Harry's perspective, the reason for unveiling Prince William's deal was a purely defensive measure, a "shield not a sword", as a necessary piece of evidence to stop the newspaper group from closing down Harry's claim on the grounds of it being out of time.

While the publishers, News Group Newspapers, might say that these claims should have been brought years ago, highlighting Prince William's settlement in 2020 provides proof there were still relatively recent negotiations and pay-outs taking place.

Prince William's spokesman has declined to comment on an "ongoing legal process". But if there was a "very large sum" paid in a settlement, it would raise further questions of what happened to the money. For instance, did this go to charity?

More questions are raised by another key part of the argument against throwing out this case for being out of time - in what Prince Harry's court documents call the "secret agreement".

Prince Harry and Prince William will both be at the coronation


This is claimed as a deal between palace officials and News Group Newspapers in which cases involving the royals would be dealt with after other cases had been settled, to avoid embarrassing court appearances or hacking evidence being put into the public domain.

Prince Harry says he was "kept out of the loop" about this, not least because it "would have infuriated me and I would have insisted that I be allowed to take action, especially given my extremely difficult relationship with the press at that time".

From Prince Harry's perspective this is a smoking gun, which meant that he couldn't bring his case until hundreds of others had been settled.

From the perspective of the newspaper publishers this is a gun that didn't smoke because it never existed.

"There was no such secret agreement," said the lawyers for News Group Newspapers, rejecting such claims as being "without merit in fact or in law".

The newspaper group also suggests Prince Harry must have known about reports of hacking at a much earlier stage, having been at the "epicentre" of the story, and they argue he could have acted sooner.

Preparations are being made for crowds at the coronation on 6 May


But Prince Harry's version of events, and his assertions that his father the King discouraged his legal action, raise wider questions about the press and the Royal Family.

The relationship is depicted by Prince Harry as an uncomfortable trade-off, with the royals wanting to keep the press "onside" because they were "incredibly nervous" about the potential for public embarrassment if a royal had to go into a witness box or if an intercepted voicemail had been revealed.

But sources close to Prince William reject claims that any settlement could be seen as a sign of a cosy deal with the press.

He's had his own privacy battles for himself and his family, including over photographs of his wife Catherine, and striking a deal could be a pragmatic way to draw a line under a legal claim.

It was Prince William who helped to establish that phone-hacking was taking place back in 2005.

But there are so many loose threads raised by this case and there are no signs that Prince Harry will desist from pulling on them to see what unravels.

It's also hard to know how these legal battles will go down with the public. They might warm to an underdog. Journalists usually talk about "the press" as though it's someone else, not themselves, perhaps in recognition of our own lack of popularity.

In terms of the question of what's driving Prince Harry, sources point to a specific part of his witness statement and it doesn't sound like he's planning to settle. It seems more likely that he will soon be appearing in court as a witness, which would probably horrify the palace.

"What I complain of here is about illegal or unlawful activities, and that is something which I feel incredibly strongly about, not just in a personal capacity but as part of the role I have always taken on, in terms of my duty to stand against things which are unjust," Harry writes.

He seems furiously motivated by the impact of hacking and press hounding - including for his mother Princess Diana, saying it had intruded on "every area of my life" and had been like a "third party" in his relationships.

The use of hacking to obtain stories was "disgusting, immoral and a complete abuse of power", he writes in his court statement.

A judge will have to decide whether this current claim can go ahead to a full trial. But there's already another case against another newspaper group lined up for the days following the coronation and two other claims in progress.

There are going to be more difficult questions.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Iranian Hackers Shut Down British Power Plant for Four Days in Landmark Cyber Attack
Novak Djokovic Reveals Relentless Self-Doubt and Rejects Retirement in New Documentary
Trump Imposes 50% Tariffs on Canadian Goods After Bilateral Trade Talks Collapse
Australia Combines Indigenous Fire Knowledge With Satellite Tech to Combat Catastrophic Wildfires
Father and Son Jailed in Scotland Over £900,000 Airport Cannabis Smuggling Operation
UK Fraud Reports Surge Sevenfold as Criminals Exploit QR Codes in Parking Meters and Phishing Emails
Brighton Thrash Aston Villa in Four-Goal Opening Half as Manchester City Trail Bournemouth
Erin Patterson Appeals Triple Murder Convictions After Hotel Mixed Sequestered Jury With Prosecution
Bank of England Maintains Close Watch on Banks Amid Global Economic Uncertainty
Warm Weather and Tourism Support UK High Street Spending During Summer
Westminster Faces Continuing Political and Administrative Fallout From Epstein Files Release
UK Invests in Domestic Defence Drone Manufacturing to Strengthen Military Supply Chains
Around Five Million UK Households Face Higher Mortgage Payments by 2028
Bluetongue Virus Cases Rise Across England, Wales and Scotland
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
Historic Summer Droughts Threaten UK Harvests and Put Further Pressure on Food Prices
UK Economy Holds Up in Second Quarter Despite Global Energy and Geopolitical Pressures
UK Opens National Artificial Intelligence Safety Testing Facility
UK Government Finalizes Plans to Bring Remaining Regional Rail Services Into Public Ownership
Environment Agency Imposes Record Penalties on Water Companies Over Illegal Sewage Discharges
Great British Energy Announces Offshore Wind Partnership in North Sea
UK Government Tightens Planning Rules to Accelerate Housing Development
NHS Launches Digital Overhaul to Cut Elective Care Waiting Lists
Bank of England Signals Interest Rates May Stay Higher for Longer as Inflation Pressures Persist
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Bank of England Holds Interest Rate at 3.75% as Inflation and Energy Risks Persist
UK AI Security Tests Find Autonomous Agent Attempting Malicious Code Injection
UK Economy Grows 0.4% in Second Quarter Amid Global Pressures
UK Joins European Allies in Condemning Israeli Settlement Plans in West Bank E1 Area
Multiple People Killed in A66 Collision Near Middlesbrough Involving Police Vehicle
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
UK Met Office Warns of Severe Autumn Storms as Strong El Niño Follows Historic Drought
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
×