London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Feb 22, 2026

Britishvolt bought by Australian firm Recharge Industries

Britishvolt bought by Australian firm Recharge Industries

Australian firm Recharge Industries has bought the defunct battery maker Britishvolt out of administration.

Britishvolt had plans to build a £4bn battery plant near the Port of Blyth in Northumberland but collapsed last month after running out of money.

Its downfall was blamed on a lack of battery experience, proven technology, customers and revenue.

Recharge Industries has in many ways a similar profile, it is a start up with little manufacturing experience.

It is an Australian company, but is ultimately owned and run by a New York-based investment fund called Scale Facilitation.

"What we are bringing is validated technology," the fund's Australian chief executive David Collard told the BBC.

"The US defence industry has validated it and it is already supplied to the UK navy through a subcontractor."


Big ambitions


The new owners will keep the Britishvolt brand name but have very different plans for the future.

The company intends to start by focusing on batteries for energy storage and hopes to have those products available by the end of 2025.

David Collard, chief executive of Scale Facilitation


It then intends to produce batteries for high-performance sports cars.

The prospect of a much-needed plant that can produce batteries for high-volume carmakers in the UK looks many years off.

But does Mr Collard understand why many in government and the automotive industry are nervous that it won't deliver what UK industry needs without involvement from major manufacturers like Ford, GM, JLR and BMW?

"They all started somewhere before they became big. We've got accelerated growth and have been successful all along the way," he said.

Recharge Industries certainly has big ambitions. It is planning to build a similar plant in Mr Collard's hometown of Geelong, near Melbourne. He has spent time fostering relations with government and opposition leaders there.

He conceded he hadn't made the same level of connections in the UK yet, but had engaged with the owners of the Northumberland site.

"I spent a lot of time with Northumberland County Council. They genuinely want a gigafactory and the best thing for their people," he said.

Mr Collard honestly conceded he might not be the right person to deliver that.

"I'm not saying I'm the best person in the world to run this project but at the end of the day the administrators had a legal obligation to get the best return for creditors - but I do think they care, as individuals, what the future holds."

The deal comes just days after the Levelling-Up Secretary Michael Gove spoke to the Northern Echo during a visit to Blyth and announced £20.7m in funding to for the coastal town.

"The government is ready to stand behind the right company with the right investment because we do believe that a gigafactory here in Blyth would be an appropriate way of building on the skills that local people have, and indeed the edge that this town has already displayed when it comes to renewables and the future of energy," Mr Collard said.


'Shovel ready'


Britishvolt's collapse, with the loss of more than 200 jobs, had been seen as a blow to the government's "levelling up" agenda instigated by former Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

The government had offered £100m to the former Britishvolt owners if they hit certain construction milestones.

Mr Collard said he would happily accept government funding but wanted broad political support. "Anyone will take free money but at the end of the day what we want is bi-partisan support and we have that in Australia and the US."

He described the site as "shovel ready" but said it would be six to 12 months before the first shovel would be used on site.

Ultimately, he hopes the site will create up to 8,000 jobs on site and in the supply chain.

That would be a great outcome for the region and the UK economy but this project does not seem to be the answer yet to the UK's pressing car battery needs.

The UK currently has only one Chinese-owned battery plant, which is next to the Nissan factory in Sunderland.

There are 35 plants planned or already under construction in the European Union.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK Government Weighs Removing Prince Andrew from Line of Succession After Arrest
Prince Andrew’s Arrest in UK Rekindles Scrutiny Over US Handling of Epstein Records
Trump’s Strategic Warning to UK Over Chagos Islands Deal Sparks Diplomatic Whiplash
Starmer Government Postpones Local Elections Affecting 4.5 Million Voters
UK Economy Remains Fragile Despite Recent Upturn in Headline Indicators
UK Businesses Face Fresh Uncertainty Following US Tariff Ruling
Reform UK’s Senior Figures Face Scrutiny Over Remarks on Women and Family Policy
UK Electric Vehicle Drive Threatened by Shortage of 44,000 Qualified Technicians
University of Kentucky Trustees Advance Academic Reforms and Approve Coliseum Plaza Purchase
Boris Johnson Calls for Immediate Deployment of UK Troops to Support Ukraine
OpenAI CEO Sam Altman praises the rapid progress of Chinese tech companies.
North Korea's capital experiences a significant construction boom with the development of a new city district dubbed 'Pyonghattan'.
New electric vehicle charging service eliminates waiting times
Vox Populi confronts Justin Trudeau at Davos over vaccination policies
Poland's President Karol Nawrocki ENDS support for Ukrainian citizens:
The mayor of Rotherham in Britain
One day after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest, British police are searching his former home, while U.K. lawmakers will consider introducing legislation to remove him from the line of royal succession
Vandana Shiva reminding the world that Bill Gates did not invent anything.
Italy's PM Giorgia Meloni highlights record employment and economic growth
UK Confirms Preferential U.S. Trading Terms Will Continue After Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
U.S. and U.K. to Hold Talks on Diego Garcia as Iran Objects to Potential Military Use
UK Officials Weigh Possible Changes to Prince Andrew’s Position in Line of Succession Amid Ongoing Scrutiny
British Police Probe Epstein’s UK Airport Links and Expand High-Profile Inquiries
The Impact of U.S. Sanctions on Cuba's Humanitarian Crisis: A Tightening Noose
Trump Directs Government to Release UFO and Alien Information
Trump Signs Global 10% Tariffs on Imports
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
British Co-founder of ASOS falls to his death from Pattaya apartment
Early 2026 Data Suggests Tentative Recovery for UK Businesses and Households
UK Introduces Digital-First Passport Rules for Dual Citizens in Border Control Overhaul
Unable to Access Live Financial Data for January UK Surplus Report
UK Government Considers Law to Remove Prince Andrew from Royal Line of Succession
UK ‘Working Closely with US’ to Assess Impact of Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
Trump Criticises UK Decision to Restrict Use of Bases in Potential Iran Strike Scenario
UK Foreign Secretary and U.S. State Chief Hold Strategic Talks as Tensions Rise Over Joint Air Base
Two teens arrested in France for alleged terror plot.
Nordic Fracture: How Criminal Scandals and Toxic Ties are Dismantling the Norwegian Crown
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
King Charles III Opens London Fashion Week as Royal Family Faces Fresh Scrutiny
Trump’s Evolving Stance on UK Chagos Islands Deal Draws Renewed Scrutiny
House Democrat Says Former UK Ambassador Unable to Testify in Congressional Epstein Inquiry
No Record of Prince Andrew Arrest in UK as Claims Circulate Online
UK Has Not Granted US Approval to Launch Iran Strikes from RAF Bases, Government Confirms
AI Pricing Pressure Mounts as Chinese Models Undercut US Rivals and Margin Risks Grow
Global Counsel, Advisory Firm Co-Founded by Lord Mandelson, Enters Administration After Client Exodus
London High Court dispute over Ricardo Salinas’s $400mn Elektra share-backed bitcoin loan
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Former Student Files Civil Claim Against UK Authorities After Rape Charges Against Peers Are Dropped
Archer Aviation Chooses Bristol for New UK Engineering Hub to Drive Electric Air Taxi Expansion
UK Sees Surge in Medical Device Testing as Government Pushes Global Competitiveness
×