London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Monday, Feb 16, 2026

British Steel draws up plan for 800 job losses amid government funding talks

British Steel draws up plan for 800 job losses amid government funding talks

Chinese-owned British Steel is drawing up secret plans to axe 800 jobs even as it continues talks about accessing £300m of taxpayer funding.
Britain's second-biggest steel producer has been drawing up secret plans to axe hundreds of jobs even as it continues talks with ministers about £300m of taxpayer funding that would partly depend on decade-long employment guarantees.

Sky News has learnt that British Steel has been discussing launching a consultation on around 800 redundancies, principally focused on the Scunthorpe plant in north Lincolnshire where the company is based.

One industry insider said there was a possibility that trade union officials could be briefed on the proposals as early as Wednesday, although there remained a possibility that their disclosure could be delayed pending the outcome of negotiations with the government.

The planned cuts would arise from the closure of coke ovens, although Scunthorpe's two blast furnaces and other mills within the Chinese-owned group would continue to operate, the insider said.

Any redundancy proposals would be certain to draw a sharp response from the government given that its offer of £300m of state support is partly predicated upon providing job guarantees lasting for a decade.

A source suggested job cuts would "complicate" the talks between the two sides.

Last week, Sky News revealed that British Steel and larger rival Tata Steel would be required to guarantee thousands of jobs until 2033 in return for £600m of government support to help decarbonise the industry.

Grant Shapps, the business secretary, has told the companies that the proportion of their workforces that would need to be secured would be determined after further discussions.

A six-month moratorium on redundancies is another one of the conditions of the government offer.

The taxpayer funding is to be linked to the replacement of blast furnaces at the company's sites with greener electric arc furnaces.

Jingye Group, British Steel's owner, would be obliged to invest at least £1bn in the business by 2030, with Tata Steel expected to be asked for a similar commitment.

The decision to grant the state aid is not without controversy, given British Steel's Chinese ownership and doubts about its adherence to financial commitments made when it bought the business out of insolvency proceedings in 2020.

In a letter to Jeremy Hunt, the chancellor, in December, Grant Shapps and Michael Gove, the levelling-up secretary, warned that British Steel's demise could cost the government up to £1bn in decommissioning and other liabilities.

They cautioned Mr Hunt that British Steel "does not have a viable business without government support".

"Closing one blast furnace would be a stepping-stone to closure of the second blast furnace, resulting in a highly unstable business model dependent on Chinese steel imports," Mr Shapps and Mr Gove wrote.

"Given the magnitude of the liabilities due to fall on HMG in the event of blast furnace closure, and following the PM's steer, we would like officials to test whether net Government support in the region of £300m for British Steel could prevent closure, protect jobs and create a cleaner viable long-term future for steel production in the United Kingdom."

They also argued that retaining sovereignty over steel production was critical to the UK economy.

"Every other G20 nation has maintained domestic steel production and, while we do not think that this should come at any cost, we do believe it is in HMG's interest to offer well-designed and targeted funding which unlocks private investment, achieves a good outcome for taxpayers, and enables transformed, decarbonised and viable domestic steel production to continue in the UK in the long-term," Mr Shapps and Mr Gove wrote.

"We do not want to become reliant on steel sources elsewhere in the same way that energy security has become self-evidently important.

The fate of British Steel, which was bought by Jingye out of an insolvency process just under three years ago, has become increasingly unclear in recent months as the current owners have indicated that they would not maintain its operations without taxpayer funding.

British Steel employs about 4,000 people, with thousands more jobs in its supply chain dependent upon the company.

Tata Steel employs substantially more people in the UK, including more than 4,000 at its Port Talbot steelworks in Wales.

According to last month's letter, British Steel had already informed the government that it could close one of the Scunthorpe blast furnaces as soon as next month, with the loss of 1,700 jobs.

This would be "followed by the second blast furnace closing later in 2023, creating cumulative direct job losses of around 3,000", Mr Shapps and Mr Gove wrote.

In May 2019, the Official Receiver was appointed to take control of the company after negotiations over an emergency £30m government loan fell apart.

British Steel had been formed in 2016 when India's Tata Steel sold the business for £1 to Greybull Capital, an investment firm.

As part of the deal that secured ownership of British Steel for Jingye, the Chinese group said it would invest £1.2bn in modernising the business during the following decade.

Jingye's purchase of the company, which completed in the spring of 2020, was hailed by Boris Johnson, the then prime minister, as assuring the future of steel production in Britain's industrial heartlands.

Reacting to the job cuts the steelworkers' union Community said it was "extremely concerned" about the plan.

"This move would represent a betrayal of their (British Steel's) loyal workforce and their commitments to invest in the business. We believe this would put staff at risk and is completely unworkable."

"British Steel is already putting staff at risk by making them work overtime every single week," Alun Davies, Community's national officer said.

"Cutting hundreds of jobs in this situation will endanger workers by pushing them to work even longer hours in extreme temperatures.

"Steelworkers played their part to protect our steel industry and are being failed by both the government and British Steel who are abdicating their responsibilities to the workforce and our country.

"British Steel should urgently clarify its position and know that we will use any means at our disposal to fight this dangerous plan."

British Steel has have been contacted for comment.

The prime minister's official spokesperson said: "Any reports of prospective job losses would be of concern.

"Obviously, I can't necessarily comment on speculation, but the government always stands ready to provide or signpost assistance for anyone that needs it.

In terms of long-term support for UK steel obviously the government has taken a number of steps in this space."

A BEIS spokesperson added: "The government recognises the vital role that steel plays within the UK economy, supporting local jobs and economic growth and is committed to securing a sustainable and competitive future for the UK steel sector.

"The business secretary considers the success of the steel sector a priority and continues to work closely with industry to achieve this."
Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK’s Top Prosecutor Says ‘No One Is Above the Law’ as Police Review Claims Against Ex-Prince Andrew
Businessman Adam Brooks weighs in on the reports that the US is set to help Hamit Coskun flee the UK, over free speech concerns
U.S. Attorney General Pam Bondi Releases 3.5 Million Pages of Jeffrey Epstein Case Files
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio Comment on European allies report blaming Russia for killing late Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny using toxin from poison dart frogs
Eighty-Year-Old Lottery Winner Sentenced to 16.5 Years for Drug Trafficking
UK Quran Burner May Receive Asylum in the US Amid Legal Challenges
Rubio Calls for Sweeping U.N. Reform, Saying It Has Failed to End Wars in Gaza and Ukraine
10,000 Condoms Distributed at Winter Olympics 2026 Athlete Village Depleted Within 72 Hours
Poland's President Advocates for Evaluating Independent Nuclear Weapons Development
Prince William Meets Saudi Crown Prince as Epstein-Andrew Fallout Casts Shadow
Starmer Calls for Renewed ‘Hard Power’ Investment at European Security Summit
UK Police Establish National Taskforce to Handle Domestic Epstein-Linked Allegations
UK Court Rules Ban on Palestine Action Unlawful in Major Free Speech Test
UK Faces Prospect of Net Migration Turning Negative as Economic Impact Looms
Mayor of Serdobsk in Russia’s Penza Region Resigns After Housing Certificates Granted to Migrant Family Trigger Public Outcry
Pentagon Reviews Anthropic Partnership After Claude AI Reportedly Used in Operation Targeting Nicolás Maduro
President Donald Trump and Hip-Hop’s Political Realignment: Pardons, Public Endorsements, and the Struggle Over Cultural Influence
China’s EV Makers Face Mandatory Return to Physical Buttons and Door Handles in Driver-Distraction Safety Overhaul
Goldman Sachs and DP World Executive Resignations: Elite-Reputation Risk and Corporate Governance Fallout From the Epstein Disclosures
‘Amelia’: The UK Government’s Anti-Extremism Game Villain Who Became a Protest Symbol
Peter Mandelson Asked to Testify Before US Congress Over Jeffrey Epstein Links
Walmart's Earnings and UK Economic Data Highlight Upcoming Financial Trends
UK Green Party Considering Proposal to Legalize Heroin for an Inclusive Society
SpaceX's New Vision: Lunar City Takes Precedence Over Mars Colonization
OpenAI and DeepCent Superintelligence Race: Artificial General Intelligence and AI Agents as a National Security Arms Race
Document Suggests Prince Andrew Shared UK Briefing on Afghan Investment Opportunities with Jeffrey Epstein
We will protect them from the digital Wild West.’ Another country will ban social media for under-16s
McDonald's Shortens Breakfast Hours in Australia Due to Egg Shortage
Heineken announces cut of 6,000 jobs due to declining beer demand
Beijing Brands UK Hong Kong Visa Expansion ‘Despicable and Reprehensible’ After Jimmy Lai Sentencing
Tesco Chief Warns UK Is ‘Sleepwalking’ Toward a Joblessness Crisis
Trump’s ‘Act of Great Stupidity’ Comment on UK Chagos Deal Reverberates Through Diplomacy and Strategy
New U.S. filings say Jeffrey Epstein repaid Les Wexner one hundred million dollars after theft allegation
Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick acknowledges 2012 visit to Jeffrey Epstein’s private island as lawmakers scrutinise past ties
Helsing and Stark Defence loitering-munition drones and Germany’s race to industrialise battlefield autonomy
UK orders deletion of Courtsdesk court-data archive, reigniting the fight over who controls public justice records
UK Police Review Fresh Claims Involving Prince Andrew as Senior Royals Respond to Epstein Files
Keir Starmer’s Premiership Faces Unprecedented Strain as Epstein Fallout Deepens
Starmer Vows to Stay in Office as UK Government Faces Turmoil After Epstein Fallout
China and UK Signal Tentative Reset with Commitment to Steadier, Professionally Managed Relations
UK Confirms Imminent Increase in ETA Fee to £20 as Entry Rules Tighten
UK Signals Possible Seizure of Russia-Linked ‘Shadow Fleet’ Tanker in Escalation of Sanctions Enforcement
Epstein Scandal Piles Unprecedented Pressure on UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s Leadership
UK’s ‘Most Romantic Village’ Celebrates Valentine’s Day and Explores the Festival’s Rich History
The Implications of Expanding Voting Rights to Non-EU Foreign Residents in France
Ghislaine Maxwell to Testify Before US Congress on February 9
Al.com Acquired by Crypto.com Founder for $70 Million
Apple iPhone Lockdown Mode blocks FBI data access in journalist device seizure
Belgium: Man Charged with Rape After Faking Payment to Sex Worker
KPMG Urges Auditor to Relay AI Cost Savings
×